Sunday, January 21, 2007

Mystery Abounds

If wishes were horses, mine came true today. On the one year anniversary of meeting D's son for the first time, we have added another member to our family: as of today we own a horse! Notice I didn't say we BOUGHT a horse...the farm where I ride gave her to me.

Here's the story: she's the baby sister of the farm owner's thoroughbred. The people who have owned her for the past 5 years moved to LA about a year ago. They haven't been back to see her in all that time and just called to tell the owner that they are giving her back to the farm, they aren't paying one more penny, that the farm could put her to sleep if they wanted, they were done with her. What assholes! That's illegal too, but that's besides the point.

So, they needed someone to take ownership of her. They are willing to do just about anything to keep her at the farm, she was born there and has spent her entire life there (she's 7). So, they aren't charging me for the horse, they will charge me half of what the boarding and food costs would normally be, they are going to comp my lessons until Missy is back in shape so I can ride her (3-6 months, she hasn't been ridden in a year but has been exercised regularly), and they are going to train and/or retrain her for free. Plus teach me all the stuff I need to know to be a horse owner.

It's a deal we couldn't really say no to. If we did say no they would have to sell her off the property and it would break all their hearts to do that. This is happening about a year earlier than I had thought it would, but it's a great opportunity. I was planning on leasing in a few months anyway and now I'll have full access to her plus free lessons, so it will be costing us about $100 more/month that what I am paying now. She is a young horse and has great bloodlines, her big sister is a champion hunter/jumper. She has two full sisters at the farm and the owner of the farm owned both her parents and her grandparents.

As you can see she's a pretty bay mare (chestnut brown with black on her lower legs and a black mane and tail) and she moves very well. Her "barn" name is Missy, I've given her the show name of Mystere, which means mystery in French. She's very sweet and loving, despite not having her own person for a long time. She needed a person, and I guess I needed a horse.

All you horsey types, I'm interesting in your opinion of her movement.



26 comments:

  1. I am so happy for you it's ridiculous!...for for Missy! So awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am grinning ear to ear, so very happy for you both. What a great deal you lucked into. I cannot wait to hear more. What perfect timing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. She's BEAUTIFUL! What wonderful luck for both of you! Have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not knowledgeable enough to comment other than to say that she looks beautiful to me, and I'm delighted that some bad behaviour on the part of others has led to this good fortune for you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad that Missy has found a person (and a very nice one who will take great care of her at that).
    Congratulations.
    DinoD

    ReplyDelete
  6. She's beautiful! What a great turn of fortune for her. Can't wait to hear more about her.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG! What a gorgeous horse she is! I am absolutely delighted for both of you. This news made my day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw man, this made me all weepy. What are you doing to me woman???

    It sounds as if you both needed each other. I'm so happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is so amazing! I'm very happy for you and Missy! I wish I could have a horse, too... *slightly envious*

    ReplyDelete
  10. EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! You own a horse! And not in an evil ex-wife kind of way! And said horse is beautiful and this post is all "dream-come-true-y" and I just love you for that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so excited about your new baby. Such a sweetie pie she is. So happy you were there for each other.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Absolutely kick ass! I'm so very excited for you. What a great turn of events!!! Hoping you have fun bonding with your beautiful girl. :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Dear Donna, she's utterly beautiful! What a stroke of good fortune... or better, what a wonderful outcome to a really nasty decision on her former owners' part! I hope you and Mystere do wonderful things for each other.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Donna,

    I just zoomed over here to let you know I just got your email. I haven't looked at my blog in a week! I emailed you my telephone #. But, looks like you took her! She is lovely! Congrats! I am really delighted to see you with your very first horse!

    Pax. Kimberly

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm still gushing here --

    Just looked closely at that photo of you and Mystere. You know - you two look really well suited to each other!

    How tall is she? She looks large.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks everyone, I'm still pinching myself over here. Kimberly, I think Willow said she was about 16 hands.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ahhh, Good things DO happen to good people! I am absolutely thrilled for you, Donna. Your passion has paid off, and that is one lucky horse. She is gorgeous, and I am so looking forward to hearing more about her. Love that close-up of her, you can tell she has a good soul.

    ReplyDelete
  18. That is truly the best news of the New Year! Fantastic for you both. You'll never look back. It's a new and lasting relationship for you both.
    XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow!

    And everytime I visit I think "she posts the best photos!"

    It's so nice to read something happy and non-IF!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am telling you 100% truth when I say that this is probably the most moving blog post I’ve ever come across. I’ve been moved by a lot, but I seriously got tears in my eyes when I saw this.

    Wow. Your very own horse. Now you are on the road for some real adventures, let me tell you that!

    She’s beautiful. It was meant to be.

    Horses are the best!

    When this project is done, I am definitely coming down to see you.

    Oh my god, have fun! Have all the fun you so very much deserve!

    ReplyDelete
  21. The law of attraction is deep and profound. When you are living a purposeful life, isn't it amazing how the things you need most come into your life when you least expect them? What amazes me more is they come into your life in strange and unpredictable ways.

    Congrats. I wish you many happy years together.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Someone once told me that the best end to a great story was both the most surprising and yet the most inevitable thing that could have happened. Not that your "story" is over, but this is one of those perfect endings a writer dreams of creating...

    CONGRATS! and BRAVO!

    xoxox
    JennaM

    ReplyDelete
  23. What an absolutely gorgeous horse with a beautiful name to match! Great news!

    ReplyDelete
  24. You are going to have so much fun!! Read up on some natural horsemanship techniques and you guys will have an amazing start together. Best wishes from one new horse owner to another.

    ReplyDelete
  25. She's beautiful and a nice mover too. She reminds me of MY first horse Nikki. Not the girls horse - mine. She looks like her and moves a lot like her. What fun!!

    ReplyDelete