Saturday, October 7, 2006

TV Gets it Wrong Again

Last week's episode of Nip/Tuck really irked me. I realize it isn't a documentary, it isn't even really a medical show, but it completely drives me crazy when TV shows conveniently forget to check facts because that would interfere with a plot point.

The trouble that Julia is going through with her disabled son is not being handled well. She decides on the spur of the moment that she is suffering from PPD, having displayed nary a symptom of any significance as far as I could see. Their night nurse (and I still don't know exactly what that means) indicates they should try to keep her off antidepressants so she can nurse. WTF? These two things are not mutually exclusive.

The fact that both Shaun and Christian can't seem to keep it in their pants for an entire episode is wearing thin as well. And excuse me, but you don't take three bites of a hash brownie and start hallucinating like you did a speedball. Hmph.

I'm not a doctor, but that kidney removal scar didn't seem like it was in quite the right place on poor Liz.

Finally, slightly OT to this topic, but that was the worst fake dead dog ever in the history of TV. I realize they couldn't put a dog under and dump a real dog out of the duffle bag, but COME ON.

Maybe I'm just in a bad mood lately. Damn these night sweats! Did anybody hear about rhubarb extract helping with menopause symptoms? Who'd a thunk it?

6 comments:

  1. Television writers thoroughly astound me. It's as if they've never been out in the real world, never had real issues, but they've HEARD about them, so it makes sense to write about it...right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I havent seen the show (gasp!) i know. Was this the hyped episode with Rosie? How was she? She thinks this show is the best thing on tv. Is it true?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't watch that show, but after this post, maybe I am glad I don't.
    Dead dog...yeah I can pass on seeing that...fake or not.

    ReplyDelete
  4. FS, this was the episode with Melissa Gilbert, they are really putting a lot of famous guest stars on this season. I haven't watched the Rosie episode yet, its on the DVR, but I heard she has a love scene with Julian McMahon - yuk! I don't know about it being the best thing on TV. Its on cable so they get away with a lot more than you could on regular TV. I've been watching it for a while so I am pretty invested in the characters, I think it would be hard to jump in now if you haven't been watching it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The show has been driving me crazy for weeks now. Okay for seasons. :) I caught all those same this this episode. This past episode with Rosi is actually a little better. Less butt. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can only admit to watching one episode of this show, when it first aired, I think. It drives me absolutely mental when 'medical' shows make medical errors.
    Hire a doctor, or better yet, a nurse for the programme to get their facts straight.

    ReplyDelete